Country or Region: Australia Industry: Transport & Logistics
DP World is the world’s 4th largest marine terminal operator and with 60% market share Australia’s market leader in shipping container and marine terminal management. DP World Australia has more than 2,000 staff and marine terminal operations in Fisherman Islands, Fremantle, Port Botany and West Swanson.
DP World Australia’s existing safety system was complex to use and no longer cost effective in supporting the organisation’s Health and Safety processes
DP World chose Microsoft Dynamics® SCRIM® because it is easy to use and customise, integrates with the organisation’s Microsoft® environment which makes it very cost effective to support and maintain.
- Monthly reporting reduced from several days to a few hours as a result of centralized real time reporting.
- Reduction of time to close out corrective actions due to business process automation and notifications.
- Improved ROI as the system is very cost effective compared to most other Health and Safety systems.
The application made so much sense because of its seamless integration with the applications the organisation already uses, such as Microsoft Office® and Microsoft Outlook®.
DP World Australia (DP World) manages Health and Safety processes across Australia’s four main shipping terminals on a 24/7 basis. With large vessels unloading and loading heavy containers on a very tight schedule Health and Safety are the number one priority.
The main challenges DP World Australia was seeking to overcome were:
- Improve the accuracy of health and safety reporting by introducing an easy to use system.
- Reduction of time to eliminate identified hazards and close out actions.
- Reduction of the monthly reporting time which was taking from several days to weeks to complete.
- Reduce the costs of supporting and maintaining the health and safety management system.
When evaluating SCRIM®, DP World was sold on the system the first time they saw it; “The application made so much sense because of its seamless integration with the applications the organisation already uses, such as Microsoft Office® and Microsoft Outlook®”. The organisation realised how much they could increase their efficiency if they could do all their safety reporting right in the familiar Microsoft Office® user interface that users already spent most of their time when producing health and safety reports.
“SCRIM’s seamless integration with Microsoft Office Outlook®, Word® and Excel®, make it the platform of choice for organisations that have already invested in Microsoft software and end user training.”
DP World introduced SCRIM® early 2009 which is currently used by almost 200 users on a 24/7 basis in Australia’s 4 major ports. The main benefits received are:
- The SCRIM® system has been very well received by the business as a result of its ease of use and seamless integration with the Microsoft Office® applications. It is easy to navigate through the various modules and each module provides enough prompts for the user to complete the required information.
- The dashboards provide a quick snapshot on site performance and allow for comparison and the ability to track trends. The ability to easily create graphs, dashboard and reports reduces the effort required when completing monthly reports.
- The corrective actions module allows for automated email reminders and notifications to be sent. These are a prompt for the user the action was assigned to. In addition the module allows for auditing and action escalation.
- The solution itself is really flexible from allowing you to design your own reports and report filters to the ability to customise the modules. The flexibility of the platform has allowed customising the SCRIM® solution to the needs of the business and end users.
Criteria for success
In transitioning to the new system DP World used three basic rules of success:
- Executive sponsorship By securing executive sponsorship the project received the level of visibility and priority it required to make a business wide impact in a pre-defined time frame.
- Think big start small Taking a phased approach was of key importance in showing quick results. We started with the entities of the organisation where we believed the system to make the biggest impact in the shortest possible time frame. A fast return on investment gave us the indispensable internal commitment required to continue our road success.
- It’s about people NOT systems Ease of use and user adoption should be the key criteria of system selection NOT functionality and features. Involve key people in system selection and customisation. Finally, nominate power users to provide support and training within their department.
For DP World changing to Microsoft Dynamics® meant more than changing its Health and Safety system. It meant taking a more user centric approach. The user friendliness and reporting capabilities of the Microsoft Dynamics® platform provided new business insight within the simplicity of the Microsoft Office® interface that users were already familiar with.
SCRIM®’s Microsoft Dynamics® platform is highly scalable and capable of supporting more than 100,000 concurrent users.
SCRIM® is available online as a cloud based system through Windows Azure® as well as on-premise in 41 languages.
About Microsoft Dynamics®
Microsoft Dynamics® is a line of integrated, adaptable business management solutions that enables you and your people to make business decisions with greater confidence.
Microsoft Dynamics® works like familiar Microsoft software such as Microsoft Office, which means less of a learning curve for your people, so they can get up and running quickly and focus on what’s most important.
Because it is from Microsoft, it easily works with the systems that your company already has implemented.
By automating and streamlining core business processes, Microsoft Dynamics® brings together people, processes, and technologies, increasing the productivity and effectiveness of your business, and helping you drive business success.
For more information about Microsoft Dynamics, go to: www.microsoft.com/dynamics